Archive | January, 2009

Dr. Who?

A study in this week’s Archives of Internal Medicine by Vinny Arora and colleagues found that vanishingly few hospitalized patients could name any of their hospital doctors. Should we care? I think we should. Vinny is one of the nation’s up-and-coming researchers in the field of hospital medicine, and a good friend. In this clever […]

Read full story Comments { 7 } 31 views

Patient Safety and a Tale of Two Pilots: US Airway’s Sullenberger and KLM’s Van Zanten

When a New York policeman commandeered a chopper after receiving a “plane down” distress call, he expected to find a Cessna or a Piper in the river. “I never, in a million years, expected to see US Airways in the Hudson,” said Sgt. Michael Hendrix when he reached the plane. Well, duh. Yet there it […]

Read full story Comments { 8 } 2,423 views

Can the Physical Examination Save Us From the Technology-Induced Dehumanization of Medicine?

In last week’s NEJM, physician-author Abraham Verghese paints a disturbing picture of a medical world in which technology has morphed from tool to object, the patient relegated to a supporting role. To me, Abraham has nailed the diagnosis but not the treatment. I had the distinct pleasure of getting to know Abraham when we both […]

Read full story Comments { 14 } 446 views