Archive | May, 2009

Announcing This Year’s Hospital Medicine CME Course – With a Keynote by Captain Sully!

A quick note to let you know about my 13th annual Hospital Medicine CME course, September 24-26 at the Fairmont Hotel in SF. The big news this year is the keynote speaker: Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, the pilot who landed US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River. Many folks have asked me how I […]

Read full story Comments { 0 } 107 views

A Remarkable Interview: Obama on Healthcare

I hope you had a chance to read David Leonhardt’s interview with President Obama in last Sunday’s NY Times Magazine. The feel was that of hanging out with two really smart friends discussing the issues of the day over beers. What a treat! In addition to Obama’s intelligence and forthrightness (with the exception of one […]

Read full story Comments { 7 } 31 views

Welcoming UCSF’s New Chancellor, My Friend Sue Desmond-Hellmann

Reunions are fun, but they can make you feel old. I remember strolling around Penn’s campus for my 25th reunion, and seeing several buildings named for people I knew in college. Wow, I thought, that’s when you know you’re ancient. Another way is when the chancellor of your university – the senior official at UCSF […]

Read full story Comments { 0 } 816 views