Archive | November, 2009

Jail Time for a Medical Error, Redux: The Case of Eric Cropp

Two years ago, I wrote about the case of Julie Thao, the Wisconsin nurse sent to prison for a medication error. I argued then that – although Julie bypassed some safety rules – she most certainly did not deserve jail time. Along comes another case involving jail time for a medical mistake, this one featuring […]

Read full story Comments { 26 } 6,093 views

Singapore: Pragmatism, Noah’s Ark and the Relentless Search for Best Practices

From Tokyo, I flew on to Singapore, where I had the honor of being visiting professor at the massive (1500-bed) Singapore General Hospital, a guest of Dr. Kheng Hock Lee. Kheng Hock, one of Singapore’s leading family physicians, has been charged with developing Singapore’s hospitalist program. Having last been to Singapore 20 years ago, many […]

Read full story Comments { 2 } 1,553 views

A Week in Asia: Today, Japan; Tomorrow, Singapore

A couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to visit Tokyo and Singapore – the former to speak at a conference on “Training of the Generalist Physician,” and the latter as visiting professor at Singapore General Hospital. Today: some observations on the medical scene in Japan; tomorrow, the same viz Singapore. The Tokyo conference […]

Read full story Comments { 3 } 52 views

NY Times Magazine on Brent James’ Quest to Transform Healthcare Quality

Just a quick heads up on an article in next weekend’s New York Times Sunday Magazine by my friend David Leonhardt. David profiles Intermountain Healthcare’s Brent James, capturing Brent’s (and Intermountain’s) unique and increasingly influential philosophy of using performance data to catalyze physician practice change. 

The piece, which deftly highlights the tension between “cookbook […]

Read full story Comments { 4 } 283 views