Archive | December, 2009

Rainy Day Interviews, Oscar Winners’ Mortality, and a Randomized Trial of Niceness in the ER: The Extraordinary Mind of Don Redelmeier

One of the great joys of a life in academic medicine is the opportunity to work with lots of very smart people. But one regret is that there is something about academia that tends to homogenize – faculty learn that, when it comes to competing for the next grant or promotion, it pays to be […]

Read full story Comments { 12 } 132 views

A Q&A With Me in Today’s New York Times

The interview, by Pauline Chen, the surgeon and NY Times author who writes the terrific “Doctor and Patient” column on-line, is here — it mostly focuses on my thoughts about patient safety 10 years into the movement. The story and topic were also picked up by Tara Parker-Pope in her “Well” blog, and the comments […]

Read full story Comments { 5 } 14 views

How UCSF’s Root Cause Analysis Process Became Our Most Useful Patient Safety Activity

Hospitals face so many urgent tasks in safety – computerize, promote teamwork, implement evidence-based safety practices, discover unsafe conditions – that it’s hard to know where to start. If you’re struggling, I recommend that you put your Root Cause Analysis enterprise on steroids. This is what we did at UCSF Medical Center, and it was […]

Read full story Comments { 18 } 798 views

December 1, 2009: The Patient Safety Field Turns Ten

On December 1, 1999, the Institute of Medicine released a report entitled To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Although its authors hoped to spark a national movement, they had little cause for optimism. After all, early efforts by advocates like Berwick and Leape and organizations like the National Patient Safety Foundation had […]

Read full story Comments { 4 } 181 views