Archive | January, 2010

Glenn Steele at CMS – A "Not So Fast, Schwartz"?

FYI, Glenn wrote to family and friends last night saying that he is not the new CMS administrator. We’ll see… (Lesson – don’t believe everything you read in the blogosphere. Yes, even mine.) Turning to more important matters, now I’ve gotta decide about that iPad…

Read full story Comments { 1 } 8 views

Glenn Steele at CMS?

If you’re in healthcare, the most important announcement today will not be Steve Jobs’ introduction of the iPad (thrilling as that is). Rather, it will be President Obama’s expected announcement of the appointment of Dr. Glenn Steele as the new director of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. At this writing, it is still […]

Read full story Comments { 2 } 57 views

Not So Fast, Schwartz

Every family has a favorite joke or two. One of ours went this way – unsurprisingly, given my dad’s interests and pedigree, it is Borscht Belt meets US Army. Here goes: An army drill sergeant receives word that both parents of one of his enlisted men have died tragically in an accident. Although the sergeant […]

Read full story Comments { 7 } 50 views

Why I Refused to Let Our Medical Grand Rounds Die Off

Early last year, my boss Talmadge King and I were at an ABIM meeting (we’re both on the board), and the group was debating a controversial topic. Another participant at the meeting, like Talmadge the chair of a prominent department of medicine, said, “We polled 250 people at our grand rounds last week, and they […]

Read full story Comments { 4 } 251 views