Archive | June, 2010

Dr. Rand Paul: Not All Board Certifications Are Created Equal

After serving on the board of the American Board of Internal Medicine for the past few years, I’ve come to truly appreciate the value of board certification in demonstrating – and enhancing – our competence and commitment to professionalism. But not all boards are created equal: the ABIM, like all the members of the American […]

Read full story Comments { 19 } 1,520 views

Today’s Big ACGME and Joint Commission Announcements: The Courage To – and Not To – Change

One of the mantras of performance improvement is that caregivers and provider organizations should learn from their experiences. That’s all well and good, but how about policy-setting organizations? A few moments ago in the on-line version of the New England Journal of Medicine, two of the Biggest Kahunas in the safety and quality worlds – […]

Read full story Comments { 15 } 2,459 views

UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital: A Tale of Great Leadership in Three Acts

This is an amazing tale of leadership – by my hospital CEO, our former chancellor, and, most importantly, a remarkable philanthropist. I’ll start with the latter, veer off to describe the former two, and then return, on this special day, to the philanthropist. The first time I met Marc Benioff – in 2007 – he […]

Read full story Comments { 4 } 329 views

Announcing This Year’s UCSF Hospital Medicine CME Course and Hospitalist Mini-College

It’s that time again – here’s the brochure and course information for the Management of the Hospitalized Patient (MHP) conference, October 14-16 at the Fairmont Hotel in beautiful, fog-free (at least in October) San Francisco. This will be our 14th annual hospital medicine conference; the first, attended by about 100 hardy hospitalist pioneers and a […]

Read full story Comments { 5 } 385 views

Cheating on the ABIM Boards

As a member of the executive committee of the American Board of Internal Medicine, I can’t provide too much of the inside scoop, so I’ll mainly point you to the published descriptions of a remarkable case: that of one Dr. Arora, who ran an ABIM board review course with a difference. The difference was that […]

Read full story Comments { 11 } 885 views

Dave Barry On “24” And Our Healthcare System

This past Monday was a sad night for me: no “24” on Fox, and no more installments in the works until the (inevitably disappointing) movie comes out. Watching Jack Bauer’s derring-do with my sons has been one of my can’t-miss-it rituals for nearly a decade. I’m well aware that this cannot have been healthy, or […]

Read full story Comments { 6 } 67 views