Archive | January, 2011

Rip Van Doctor: Observations On An Academic Medical Service After A Ten-Year Absence

Cindy Fenton is one of the best doctors I know, a superb clinician-educator who was directing the UCSF Department of Medicine’s educational programs when, in 2001, she stepped off the academic treadmill to raise her three children. With her youngest now in first grade, I recently managed to coax her back into clinical medicine. In […]

Read full story Comments { 2 } 203 views
The New Home Team: The Remarkable Rise of the Hyphenated Hospitalist

The New Home Team: The Remarkable Rise of the Hyphenated Hospitalist

I recall with fondness many meetings in 1996-98, when the hospitalist field was still in its infancy. We had invented a new medical specialty, and our gatherings were vibrant and purposeful. We were determined to remake the healthcare system, learn from each other’s triumphs and disasters, and chart a course that would improve the care […]

Read full story Comments { 3 } 1,860 views
A New Year’s Potpourri: From Value To Plasma Screens To Knights And Knaves

A New Year’s Potpourri: From Value To Plasma Screens To Knights And Knaves

For people like me, who, perversely enough, get a certain thrill from studying healthcare policy, there’s never been a more exciting, if also dizzying, year than 2010. Passage of the reform bill last March was only the start – and in some ways merely a marker – of the Shifting of the Paradigms: from provider […]

Read full story Comments { 2 } 124 views