Archive | April, 2011
Can Berwick Be Saved? Here’s One Possible Scenario

Can Berwick Be Saved? Here’s One Possible Scenario

We’ve all had the experience of hearing someone we know well say or write something totally out of character, and wondering, “what was that about?” Don Berwick said such a thing last week, all-but-contradicting President Obama’s support for a strengthened, independent Medicare payment board. After a little head scratching, I began to wonder whether this […]

Read full story Comments { 2 } 83 views

The Partnership for Patients: The Inside Scoop on a Game Changing Safety Initiative

An hour ago, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius and Medicare chief Don Berwick announced the “Partnership for Patients,” a far-reaching federal initiative designed to take a big bite out of adverse events in American hospitals. The program – which aims to decrease preventable harm in U.S. hospitals by 40 percent and preventable […]

Read full story Comments { 6 } 286 views
The Science and Religion of Patient Safety: Harm, Preventable Harm, and Trigger Tools (Part I)

The Science and Religion of Patient Safety: Harm, Preventable Harm, and Trigger Tools (Part I)

The patient safety world was set abuzz this week by yet another article, this one in Health Affairs, that seemed to offer additional “evidence” that hospitals are even more dangerous than we previously thought (and we already thought they weren’t very safe). Using the Institute for Healthcare Improvement’s (IHI) “Global Trigger Tool,” the study found […]

Read full story Comments { 6 } 692 views