Archive | November, 2011

“I’m the Main Breadwinner”: The British Primary Care System and Its Lessons for America

I’ve heard a lot of shocking things since arriving in England five months ago on my sabbatical. But nothing has had me more gobsmacked than when, earlier this month, I was chatting with James Morrow, a Cambridge-area general practitioner. We were talking about physicians’ salaries in the UK and he casually mentioned that he was […]

Read full story Comments { 13 } 4,123 views

Leaders and Leadership in Hospital Medicine: The Story Behind the IPC-UCSF Fellowship

This is a tale of leaders and leadership. And about keeping an open mind. I first met Adam Singer in 1996, when the hospitalist field still had its training wheels on. A pulmonary/critical care physician by training, Adam had become a physician-entrepreneur and was now focused on making his new enterprise, IPC, the nation’s preeminent […]

Read full story Comments { 13 } 2,603 views
Role Models of Diagnostic Excellence: Goop Dhaliwal and the Car Talk Guys

Role Models of Diagnostic Excellence: Goop Dhaliwal and the Car Talk Guys

In a “Clinical Problem Solving” session at my annual Hospital Medicine conference last week, I presented a fiendishly hard case to Gurpreet Dhaliwal, a UCSF associate professor of medicine based at our San Francisco V.A. You can imagine how hard this is for the discussant: he’s hearing a case for the first time, absorbing and […]

Read full story Comments { 11 } 3,367 views