Archive | March, 2012
Digital Distractions: Time for a Diet

Digital Distractions: Time for a Diet

It’s been said that losing weight is much harder than kicking cigarettes or alcohol. After all, because one doesn’t need to smoke or drink, the offending substances can simply be kept out of sight (if not out of mind). Dieting, on the other hands, involves changing the way a person does something we all must […]

Read full story Comments { 8 } 1,509 views
The Patient Will Rate You Now

The Patient Will Rate You Now

These days, I’d never consider trying a new restaurant or hotel without reading the on-line ratings on TripAdvisor or Yelp. I seldom even bother with professional restaurant or travel critics. Until recently, there was little patient-generated information about doctors, practices or hospitals to help inform patient decisions. But that is rapidly changing, and the results […]

Read full story Comments { 14 } 2,436 views
Cutting Healthcare Costs: Searching – Ever So Gingerly – For the Right Words

Cutting Healthcare Costs: Searching – Ever So Gingerly – For the Right Words

During my med school psychiatry rotation, I was taught not to shy away from discussing suicide with a depressed patient. “You won’t be suggesting something they haven’t thought about,” my professor told me back in 1982. “By not raising it, you add to the sense of stigma and it just becomes the elephant in the […]

Read full story Comments { 7 } 1,294 views