LAS VEGAS—Welcome to HM14! Now, let's get to work.
While most visitors that arrive at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino are up for fun and frolicking, the nearly 3,000 hospitalists expected to attend this year’s HM confab are here for education and inspiration. And the meeting's slate of sessions, speakers, and mental stimulation is expected to provide both.
"What you're getting are those thought leaders, as well as the academics, as well as real-life business education, all in one area," says Darren Swenson MD, a regional medical advisor for IPC The Hospitalist Co. in Las Vegas and founder of the city's SHM chapter. "And when you're able to choose your tracks to identify those programs that are of interest to you at that point in your career, it makes it very attractive."
Here are five tips to get the most out of your meeting:
- Think ahead and design a daily itinerary to take advantage of courses applicable back home, but don't be a slave to a schedule. Be open to changing course when opportunities for a meeting or event arise.
- Don't skip the keynotes. Whether it's a new panel discussion on Obamacare, an address by health strategist Ian Morrison, PhD, or the annual crowd pleaser from hospital medicine dean and blogger Bob Wachter, MD, MHM, the plenary sessions feature industry leaders’ views on important and compelling topics.
- Step outside your comfort zone. Reinforcing knowledge is certainly important, but course directors always encourage attendees to seize the opportunity to learn new skills.
- Network, network, network. There is no larger gathering of your colleagues than the annual meeting, so take advantage.
- Don't forget the Town Hall. For those planning to attend the meeting’s final session, the Town Hall is a chance to talk directly to SHM’s top staff and its board of directors.